Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Playlist: The Forever of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen

Ella and Micha have really good taste in music.

From behind us, the car was running and playing Grady’s favorite song, “Simple Man” by Lynyrd Skynard, a song that fit Grady and his lifestyle perfectly.

About a year ago, Lila and I looked very similar, but then Micha cracked through my shell and I opted for a happy medium. I’m wearing a black Spill Canvas T-shirt and a pair of jeans, and my long auburn hair hangs loosely around my face.

From inside my pocket, my phone starts ringing the tune, “Behind Blue Eyes” by The Who and my lips curve into a grin.

She turns down he song playing on the stereo, “The Tide” by Spill Canvas, and sits down on the edge of the bed.

As we dance to the music, I put my lips beside her ear and sing along with the lyrics. She leans back to look me in the eyes, “How do you know the lyrics to “The Story”? Most guys don’t listen to Brandi Carlile.”

He scrolls through the playlists and seconds later, “Chalk Line” by Strike Anywhere flips on, the acoustic version, so it’s softer. Leaning into me, he sings along with the lyrics and the sound of his angelic voice lulls me to sleep.

He has on a Rise Against T-shirt and black jeans and the leather bands that were on his wrist are replaced by a bandage.

“I want to up the bet,” he says, and when I start to gripe, he adds, “If you win you get my signed Silverstein shirt, but if I win you have to get naked.”

Confused, I start to head for the doorway to find out what he’s doing, but as soon as my foot inches forward, the stereo clicks on and I stop as “Closer” by Nine Inch Nails clicks on.

“Only One” by Yellowcard begins playing from somewhere in the room and my eyes snap open.

Ethan gets into the truck and spins tires as he drives away from the gas station, racing toward the freeway, cranking up “Silhouettes” by Smile Empty Soul.

The House is freezing and the sound of music flows through the air: “One Thing” by Finger Eleven. The door to the bathroom where her mom died is wide open and there’s something colorful all over the tile.

I take it and scroll through the selection, finally clicking on “Face to the Floor” by Chevelle.

The horn keeps honking and “Don’t Wait” by Dashboard Confessions flows from the speakers.

2 comments:

  1. I had been waiting for this book to come out and it paid off. I loved the continuation of the story and I couldn't have planned a better ending! You'll love the book even if you haven't read the first one although you really should!

    Marlene
    Great data Indiana Health Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just finished the series, and I've been searching high and low for something similar to this post. A small blurb before the song is mentioned. Although this post is 5 years old. Thank you :).

    ReplyDelete